Saturday, January 25, 2014

Becoming a runner

Becoming a runner

I've thought a lot about this question.  When do I consider myself a runner?  After reading this post on Mile-Posts  Comparision-is-the-thief-of-joy, it really helped pull things into focus for me.

This all started a few weeks back after completing my first 15k race.  I'd never run the distance before, but it was a great test race leading up to the Carlsbad half marathon I was training for.

My mentor gave me what I thought was a pretty aggressive pace and time goal.  I was a bit nervous about trying to hold that pace, but when it was all said and done, not only did I achieve that pace, but I beat it!

I was pretty ecstatic at the time.  After all, I had just run a new distance, and set a PR for both my 10k and obviously the 15k.  I'd never run that fast and for that long before, the feeling was awesome.

So here is what got me going down this inner though process.  After getting home from the race (and showering and changing as my wife won't get near me till I do) I sat around eating my breakfast and started to share my story with my wife.  I told her how happy I was that not only did I meet the goal, but I beat it!  Then these words came out of my mouth.  "Not too bad for someone who isn't a real runner".

She looked at me with that look she usually gives me when I try to explain why I like to run distance races, or why I'm training for a marathon, or why I want to race an full Ironman etc.....  It was the look of "what are you talking about?"  I kept going on for a bit longer, and then she said, "what do you mean you are not a runner?"  I tried to explain, that even though I do race, and I am running, I'm not a true runner.  She looked at me and said, you are a true runner.  You just ran over 100 miles this past month, ran a 15K race at a 7:42 average... you are a runner.  "Why do you think you are not a runner?"  My response was something along the lines of, "I don't know, I'm not like those really fast people that run these things".  And there in was the rub.  I'm just comparing myself to the achievements of others.

I had to stop, let that one sink in for a while, but it wasn't until I read the post about "Comparison is the thief of joy" that it all came together for me.

So here is my point.  I do agree that I am now a runner.  But when did I become one, and what classifies me as a "runner"?

I always like this old saying.  
Q. When does a jogger become a runner?  
A. After they sign up for their first race.

Well OK, then did I become a runner after my first 5K?  That one is a little harder because my first 5K was actually the back half of my first sprint triathlon.  I didn't take the couch to 5K approach, I took the couch to sprint triathlon path instead.  Always looking for the challenge I guess.  

But very quickly I got used to the distance, and I thought, well maybe after my first 10K.  Well, once again I ran my first 10K, but it was at the back end of my first Olympic distance triathlon.  See, I'm not really a runner yet am I?  At least not a pure runner.  I'm one of those darn triathletes!  Why be really good at one sport when you can be average at three, right?

So did I become a runner after my first half marathon?  After all, I didn't really train for it, (If my wife see me type this she would be rolling her eyes right now) I just kind of ran it after being dared to run it with some friends that had signed up. I ran a 2:08:49 for my first half marathon.

Did I become a runner after my second half marathon, when I ran a 1:47:47 the following year?  How about when I ran my 3rd at a 1:44:29?  Not only did I set a new PR for the half marathon, this last time I actually trained for it.  So now am I a runner?

Sadly I started the comparison thing again.  I'm not really a runner until I do a full marathon I started to think to myself.  My friends are doing full marathons, ultra marathons, or half and full ironman races!  They are runners I thought to myself, I'm just not there yet.  I am training for my first full marathon by the way.  Rock n Roll Marathon - San Diego this June.

Then fortunately I cam across the blog post I referenced above and it put everything into focus for me.  

I am a runner! 

I get joy out of just running.  I like being out there, feeling the road beneath my feet, the sun on my face.  Watching the sun come up on during the early morning run, or watching it go down on my late afternoon runs.  I like clicking off the miles and enjoying the scenery along the way.  I like pushing the twins in the Bob while watching my son ride his bike up ahead of me.  I love the feeling after the run is over and I get to EAT.

That is what being a runner is about now.  Not just checking off the time and distance goals.  Not just trying every day to get faster, and do more.  I've come to realize that constantly comparing myself to the achievements of others is not doing me a lot of good.  Yes, it can be motivating, but it can also be limiting and defeating too.

I know running is a lot of different things to a lot of different people.  And that is a good thing, but I think for many of us (clearly myself included!) we get too caught up in comparing ourselves to others.  In so we can be robbing ourselves of the pure joy of what we are out there to do.  For me, that is to be healthy, and beat MY last time.  Yes, I want to beat others on the course, but I'm really going to try my best to focus on MY time and being the best Me/runner that I can be.


So as I get ready to go out for my afternoon run, I'm just going to enjoy the miles and the sunset....


No comments:

Post a Comment